Thursday, June 21, 2012

Learn International Languages Quickly

English is thought to be the true international language.  To an extent this may be true.  It may be necessary to learn this language in order to more easily succeed and interact in the larger arena of the world.  However, in my recent visit to Slovakia I've learned three basic universal languages that everybody already knows and would do well to master throughout their lives.  These I've found in abundance in Slovakia and in Tisovec where I has hosted for several days.
I had the privilege of meeting an afflicted boy at a benefit concert who was bound in a wheelchair.  It looked like Multiple Sclerosis to me but I didn't know what the condition was.  I felt such a profound outreach of heart to this boy that he now resides in the purview of my mind and spirit.  It was a most meaningful handshake that few can compare to.  In Slovakia I've had the pleasure of lots of handshakes.  Each one was with a sincere outreach.  Few actions in life connect two people on an unexplained level than that of a true sincere handshake.  It inducts us into a human family of brotherhood and sisterhood of common goodwill.  The handshake is a timeless universal and international language.
There are masters of lies in the world.  They've studied and tested the playing field and many prosper.  Yet few are able to truly fool their own body language.  The last remaining physical outlet of truth is in the eyes.  All the world's libraries cannot hold the volumes that a simple pair of eyes can reveal of the intent of heart of an individual.  In Slovakia it has been a refreshing blessing to see so many people look me in the eyes with true open friendship and curiosity.  I've seen this greatly in Tisovec and I've seen this in Hnusta.  Simple goodwill without vice is as simple as I can put it.  It really helped myself and the group I was with to feel at ease and at home.  The language of eye contact is almost unmistakable.  It was a treat being flooded with this unique yet ageless form of universal and international language of looking at another in the eyes.
I don't know about anyone else but I was taught in a psychology class many years ago that the individual has a personal space of about a three foot radius.  The mind becomes uneasy, uncomfortable and suspicious when that area is impeded upon by another human being.  I've come to learn that this is a false wall that most of us build up to protect us from an unseen and probably unreal threat.  I've had the pleasure in Slovakia and particularly in Tisovec where we stayed of being embraced in a hug by many people.  A friendship hug has a bonding effect between two people.  Like the eye contact you can definitely tell the sincerity in an embrace.  It was humbling to be greeted in such a manner in a blessed place as Slovakia.  Here's another revelation: It's really not that hard to learn when you are in a culture surrounded by such common exchanges.  A hug is most assuredly a universal and international language.
The three above mentioned languages are among the most common to humanity but are not given their due credit.  Striving to perfect these attributes will gain you more friendships, business contacts and success in this world than all the gold available.  Even if you fluently learn all the verbal languages in the world you will still not fair as well as if you just work on the above simple languages.
While in Slovakia I learned two other awesome languages that were expressed freely and sincerely there.  I quickly learned that properly greeting a woman is to kiss here on both cheeks.  Being from the middle of America this was very different to me yet curious.  It's definitely not a common practice in the cultures of the United States of America.  In Slovakia it seemed so proper and right for the people.  May they never lose this tradition and may all visitors take it home to their native lands.
Now, I'm not a drinker by any means.  An accident in the military twenty years ago stopped alcohol consumption dead in it's tracks.  People definitely like their beer and wine in Slovakia.  From the very hour I first entered Tisovec I was introduced to the tradition of a toast.  Toasts are held in high regard in Slovakia and it bonds people together in conjunction with an occasion.  After a meal upon arriving at the home of Mayor Peter Minac of Tisovec he introduced a toast between us.  He did so with a true heart and it was good to see.  In the United States we have toasts but not anywhere near the quantity and quality as I've seen in Slovakia.  I admit, people did find it curious that I don't drink any alcohol but it was great to see how accommodating the people were to it.  At any toast I was at there was mineral water there sitting next to the wine.  That was cool on their part!
To understand each other as a human family is to study and learn the traditions and customs of each other.  Even the smallest things of note can have a profound impact on your impression of a people.  Visiting these wonderful people further enhances my belief and testimony that we have much to learn from each other.  I pray for the day that I may one day return to the land of Slovakia.  It would be a grand occasion to even bring my family there.  May God preserve and protect this land and it's people.
"Diplomat 15 Language Talking Translator"

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic!
    You are a poet my friend.
    You are able to speak a real, universal language: the language of heart.
    I am happy to have known such a person in Rimavska Sobota.
    Giuseppe De Cato

    ReplyDelete